While A Lot Changes, A Lot Stays the Same…..
By Lisa A. Perius
IVMA Executive Director
I had a couple of free hours last Friday afternoon (who wants to start a new project on a Friday afternoon, right?) so I thought I would tackle cleaning out some old file cabinets in my office. I admit that at work, I am a bit of a pack rat. These free hours would be a good use of my time to “liberate” file cabinet space in my office.
I did enjoy going down memory lane as I perused through old committee files, board reports, etc. I ran across the names of lots of terrific IVMA members that have donated their time over the years to the organization. I came to the file of “strategic plans” and had a good time reading through past goals for our organization and other veterinary medical associations. One that particularly caught my interest was from June, 1996 – “Five Year Strategic Plan for the Veterinary Medical Profession in Indiana”. This plan was formulate in the months right before I was hired in January, 1996.
Here were the identified goals:
- Provide veterinary medical services that are economical for the consumer and profitable for the practice
- Require and provide continuing education for veterinary medical professionals that is relevant, effective, and accessible
- Provide consumer education about veterinary medical services
- Ensure the cost of veterinary medical education is compatible with the income potential of veterinary medical practice
- Increase the involvement of new DVM graduates in organized veterinary medicine
- Ensure veterinary medical education includes practice experience and management skills
In the 18 years since this report was issued, our own goals for the IVMA haven’t changed that much. Obviously what has changed is the proliferation of information and the way we communicate with each other. From the Internet to cell phones to Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, etc – these methods have changed the landscape of our lives. While we comment and admire at the speed with which we communicate now, the goals essentially remain the same for our organization.
As always, the IVMA will push ahead on our goals, which, in all our conversations with members, are not far off from the goals of nearly 20 years ago. We all just communicate with each other differently………like now - I am writing about this observation in our IVMA blog. Crazy.